Wednesday 19 May 2010

Two Brunettes and a Mixing Bowl

We were bored, so the logical thing to do was to bake something. The only problem was we didn't have any scales, so used mugs instead. Or a recipe actually, but we never stick to them anyway... We didn't have  eggs either, but we soon realised that mixing some flour, caster sugar and flora light together in a bowl nearly closely resembles the mixture for shortbread. Izzy put the flour in the bowl, then I began beating the marg'.
"It says not suitable for baking," I notice on the side of the tub, "do you think it will be OK?"
"Yeah, it'll be fine. And it's healthier than butter anyway...right?"
She stirs. I toss in a cup full of sugar.
"Oh, we were meant to mix the butter and sugar together first I think, I wonder if it'll make a difference?"
"Probs not, it'll taste fine."
"Well shall we try separate the flour and the sugar?"
"Erm, I don't think we can really. They're both grainy, aren't they?"
"Yeah, spose."
The mixture turns to a pale dough and Izzy adds a bit more caster sugar, as though somehow that will make it brown and tasty looking. Or tastier, for that matter...
We throw the baking tray into the oven and keep checking every fifteen minutes, leaving it in there for longer than the required thirty, an hour to be exact. It's still white. I pull the tray out and cut a square off, placing it into my mouth. I burst out laughing and Izzy asks what's so funny.
"It tastes like Roti! How funny! Indian things you know, like chapatis? My Grandma used to make them. All we need now is a bit of jam and I almost feel Indian,"
"Jess, you are Indian."
"Yeah, but not really. Accidental shortbread roti's are the closest I'm gunna get..."
"So more sugar then next time?"
"Yeah."
"Oh. They do taste a bit weird. I'm not sure if I like it."

The tray was empty by the next morning, Izzy tried to eat one and it nearly broke her tooth. I never did try them with jam. I might try to make them again sometime. 'Accidental shortbread roti's' I mean, not the biscuits.

No comments:

Post a Comment